Ranked: The 3 Best Web Hosts on the Planet in 2019 (Based on Speed, Reliability & Security)
I didn’t do my research, I didn’t look at the features, and I ended up choosing the first web host I came across.
The web host I chose was slow (it took ages to load my site). It was unreliable (my site was regularly offline, for no good reason). And the service was terrible (I couldn’t get through to the customer service team when something went wrong).
It’s infuriating when your site doesn’t work. And it took me a while to realize that my web host was the problem.
Flash forward to today, and I’ve now tested dozens of web hosts – good and bad. Your web host is just too important to get wrong. It’s your website’s engine. It determines everything from:
- Security (a good host will help prevent you getting hacked)
- Peace of mind
A poor web host will cause a slow and unreliable performance. And that affects loyalty and trust of your visitors. It will even drag your sales and conversions down.
It’s that important.
So I’ve pulled together three outstanding web hosts. The best of the best. They are fast, reliable and affordable.
How Do We Test Web Hosts?
We never recommend a web host we haven’t rigorously tested or used ourselves. In fact, we use one of the recommended hosts to power this website (SiteGround, if you’re wondering).
For the others, we set up staging sites and test sites to measure the five key things that matter most to you:
- Speed Speed is the core of a good web host. We created the Bitcatcha server speed checker to measure exactly how long it takes for your server to respond. And then we rank it against thousands of others. Most other online speed tools measure the total website load time. We test just the web host. So it’s super accurate.
- Reliability We expect a web host to deliver at least 99.8% “uptime”. We start by gathering the web host’s official uptime figures, but we also measure the uptime ourselves too by setting up test sites and recording uptime with uptimerobot.com.
- Customer service If you’re running a website, you want to know you can contact someone if things start going wrong. We test every web host’s service through chat, tickets and phone.
- User interface and user experience Web hosts are complicated, but their UI doesn’t need to be. We explore behind the scenes and make sure it’s user-friendly.
- Security We look for all the features that ensure your web site stays secure and safe from hackers. (Features like auto-updates, backups, malware scanners etc.)
When we recommend a web host, you can trust that we’ve done our research, tested, and then tested again! So what are the top three web hosts for 2019?
- cPanel & SSH access
- Free CloudFlare CDN
- Free daily backup
- Priority tech. support
"Best for everyone! E-commerce, business, global sites, super affiliates and bloggers."
SiteGround is the perfect all-rounder. It’s fast, reliable and super secure. Let’s start with its best feature: speed.
- Speed Siteground recorded the highest results on Bitcatcha’s server speed checker, making it the fastest web host on the market in 2019. And it’s not just fast in America. It uses data centers situated all over the globe and their proprietary SuperCacher to ensure lightning fast load times across the planet. No matter where your audience is located, your site will load instantly.
SiteGround also gives you free access to CloudFlare. CloudFlare is a ‘content delivery network’ (CDN) which stores your website data on servers all over the world. So if someone visits your website in Japan, your site will load from a server near Japan. Fast and efficient.
Bitcatcha.com is the nearest testimonial of SiteGround. We are hosted on their Chicago datacenter and you can see how quickly this website responds to your requests.
- Reliability We set up a test site using SiteGround and the reliability stats are phenomenal. We recorded a 100% uptime on our test site. It never went down.
- Customer service You can contact SiteGround 24/7 via live chat, phone and a ticketing system. Replies are almost instant when submitted by phone or chat. And tickets usually receive a response within ten minutes. You also get a personal profile of the person you’re talking to. So you know who they are and what their expertise is.
- Security SiteGround’s systems and servers automatically block malicious bots and attackers. It also comes with a free SSL certificate (through “Let’s Encrypt”) which adds encryption to transactions on your site. Security rules are updated weekly, and they run the most up-to-date software. While nothing is completely bulletproof, SiteGround keeps on top of all the biggest threats.
- Usability Behind the scenes, SiteGround is simple, easy to use and intuitive. You won’t feel lost or frustrated when you’re making changes.
- The technical details SiteGround uses an SSD (solid state drive) on all servers to give it 1000x increase in performance output. It also has a built in SuperCacher that boosts load speed. SiteGround is also one of the sites to employ HTTP/2 which is faster and more secure (because it requires encryption).
- Cost The popular package (GrowBig) is just $5.95, which grows to $14.95 for renewal. It is the most expensive of our top three, but it justifies the price with a super-charged performance.
Any Downsides for SiteGround?
SiteGround is the only one of our top three hosts to place a limit on storage and bandwidth. You’ll need to upgrade if you get more than 25,000 visitors per month or exceed 20GB storage.
What Customer Says?
Ralph de Groot (SiteGround user since 2008)
On getting started: “I signed up with [SiteGround] and within five minutes I was ready to go.” On their customer service: “I need to solve problems fast. SiteGround usually responds in 15 minutes.”
- 20x faster Turbo servers
- Unlimited websites
- Unlimited email addresses
- Free SSD storage
- Datacenters in US, EU & Asia
"Affordable web hosting with unlimited resources. Great choice for all sorts of websites, globally."
Although A2 plays second fiddle to SiteGround in this list, we’ve gotta say that they came super close to ranking number 1, and here’s why:
- Speed With a worldwide average of 176.1ms, A2 is not as fast as SiteGround, but they’re still an A+ ranking web host, according to our speed tests.
Furthermore, this test was done on a regular swift account, on super light test sites. Their Turbo accounts are purportedly 20x faster than regular servers which might even give them an edge in real world applications with heavier themes and plugins.
Data centers also plays an important role in server speed. While SiteGround has 5 data centers across 3 continents, A2 has 4 (2 in the US, 1 in EU & 1 in Asia). While A2’s data center coverage may not be as wide as SiteGround, they’re giving our champion web host a run for their money!
- Reliability Our test sites for A2 web hosting are giving us a 99.95% uptime, which is really impressive! We really shouldn’t be surprised though, since A2 has an 99.9% uptime guarantee. Solid reliability!
- Security With A2, you’ll get free SSL via Let’s Encrypt. You’ll also find a whole host of security features, including DDOS protection, brute force defence, and round-the-clock security monitoring, keeping your site safe from any malicious activity.
- Customer service As awesome as they are as a web host, we feel that A2 can improve on their customer wait times, especially on live chat. The people that responded to us were really helpful and knowledgeable, but it took a little longer for us to connect to someone on live chat, compared to the other web hosts. Aside from that little issue, the support team is outstanding, assisting us with our issues patiently.
- User experience A2’s client login page is easy to navigate through. It’s user friendly, all the important information is clearly highlighted so that you never feel lost, and it’s doesn’t overwhelm you with too much information. If you don’t like their UI, you can still get everything important done via their cpanel login.
- Technical details You’ll be pleased find that all of A2’s web hosting plans come with SSDs for that lightning quick performance. You’ll also find the option to upgrade to their Turbo plan to take advantage of their Turbo servers, which are purportedly 20x faster than regular servers.
With A2’s Optimized WordPress feature, you won’t have to worry about tweaking your WordPress site for speed. This feature automatically optimizes your site to make it load as fast as possible, sparing you the headache.
- Cost Starting at only $3.92 per month (you’ll get this price if you purchase a 2-year term), we find A2’s pricing to be very attractive especially considering the fact that they’ve managed to pack almost unlimited everything into their plans!
As a matter of fact, they’re the web host that packs the most punch with their plans. Check out our detailed review on A2 web hosting for more information.
Any Downsides for A2 Hosting?
Their support is very patient, helpful and knowledgeable but the waiting que time could be long.
- Max Speed Zones™
- Unlimited data transfer
- PHP7 & SSD included
- SSH access
- 24×7 US support
"intermediate level user, professional blogger, all sized websites, US-audiences."
I use Inmotion Hosting here for my own websites. That’s how much I trust it. It’s super fast and reliable, and we are pleased to offer all our readers an exclusive 56% discount too.
- Speed Inmotion Hosting scores an A+ grade for global speed on the Bitcatcha speed tool – our highest rating. It’s especially fast in the US where it has two data centers (on the east coast and the west coast for complete coverage). Inmotion also uses Max Speed Zones, which makes sure every visitor is served by the closest data center.
- Reliability Like SiteGround, Inmotion Hosting also recorded a 100% uptime. Even better than their advertised uptime.
- Security Inmotion Hosting comes with a free SSL certificate which makes sure all transactions on your site are encrypted. It also offers automatic backups in case your site is hacked (you’ll usually pay extra for this service with other hosts). Lastly, Inmotion runs malware protection to protect against the most common threats.
- Customer service Inmotion Hosting boasts that it received 27,000 compliments in 2016, and we can advocate for its good customer service. You can get in touch by phone, live chat or ticket. But if you prefer to use Skype, you can use that too.
- User experience The host uses a customer login system called ‘AMP’ (Account Management Panel). It’s not quite as clean and intuitive as SiteGround or HostGator, but it’s still very user friendly. There’s also the familiar cPanel which is universal across most hosts.
Note: if you already have a host elsewhere, Inmotion Hosting’s free transfer service is incredibly simple and user-friendly.
- Technical details Experienced developers will find a lot to love here. You can use a wide variety of programming languages. It also utilizes PHP7 by default, which is the fastest, most efficient new way to execute code.
- Cost The entry-level package starts at $3.49 (growing to $7.98 upon renewal). That makes it slightly more affordable than SiteGround and it includes unlimited bandwidth and storage. It’s also worth noting Inmotion’s 90-day money back guarantee, which is far more generous than the others on this list.
Any Downsides for Inmotion Hosting?
The user interface isn’t as clean as others and the server response time is a little slower than SiteGround.
Best of The Rest
If you still haven’t found what you’re looking for, take a look at these six additional web hosts.
The perfect all rounder for all type of websites & Bitcatcha.com hosted!
Super fast Turbo-Server that is optimized for WordPress.
Perfect for websites with US audiences.
Premium managed WordPress hosting.
300% green! Leave no carbon footprint!
Ideal for beginners with option to upgrade.
An old-school host with solid features and budget pricing.
Recommended by WordPress.org
Fully managed WordPress hosting
If you are looking for specialty hosting, here are some best host lists that you might find handy.
Best Host Series
The best managed WordPress hosting.
Best web hosting for Australia audiences.
For those of you who are targeting Malaysians.
Singapore datacenter is your best bet to reach SEA audiences.
For the serious bloggers & marketers in India
Serve Africans and the rest of the world at the same time.
Having a tight budget doesn’t mean you have limited choice.
Because a professional email address is essential for your business.
Who is the best fastest web hosting?
Use our filter tool to explore more host companies.
Bottom Line: Choosing The Right Host
Searching for the right web host can be exhausting, and it’s not always easy to distinguish between the different companies. But when you break down the performance in speed, reliability and security, there are three clear winners. If you’re looking for an all-round solution, there’s no better choice than SiteGround – it’s the fastest host we tested and scored 100% uptime. A2 Hosting is a close second with similarly powerful performance, and people might prefer the US-presence of Inmotion Hosting.
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to drop us a message.