It’s amazing how a small adjustment to your website’s font can make a big difference. A typeface can have a significant impact on how people view your website, whether you want to use a classic serif font or a fun display font.
The good news is that WordPress makes it easy to change your fonts and you don’t need any technical expertise!
In this guide, we’ll cover everything from simply using your WordPress editor all the way up to themes and plugins that can help you change your font. Let’s get started!
4 Simple Ways To Change Fonts On WordPress
There are several ways for you to change your fonts on WordPress. The method you choose will not just depend on your preference but also on the themes and plugins you have or decide to download.
Now, let’s take a look at how to change your fonts in detail!
Method 1. Using the theme customizer settings to change fonts
There are a number of options available when utilizing the WordPress theme customizer, depending on your theme. To demonstrate how to modify the default font, we’ll use the Astra theme.
- Before everything else, you first need to log in to your WordPress dashboard and download your theme.
- Once you’re on your WordPress dashboard, find the Appearance tab and click on “Themes”.
This is where you can download themes.
- When you’re there, simply find a theme of your choice, download it, and activate it to use it.
We’ll be using the Astra theme for this method.
- After activating, you can finally click on “Customize” to access the Theme Customizer. In the Theme Customizer, you can pretty much edit anything about your website and in this case, we’ll be editing your website’s font.
- To edit your website’s font, click on the “Global” settings.
Global settings are basically settings for your entire website.
- Then, click on “Typography” to customize your website’s font.
You’ll find a bunch of global settings to personalize your website.
- You’ll then be greeted with new settings to edit your website’s font. Just click on the ones that fit your preferences.
You’ll find so many ways to edit your font thanks to the Astra theme.
- After you’re done editing your settings, don’t forget to save your settings by clicking on “Publish”.
Publish to save your settings.
And that’s it. You’ve successfully edited your website’s font!
Method 2: Using WordPress’s full site editing to change fonts
The majority of full-site editor themes come preloaded with a selection of fonts. You can modify the typefaces in the theme editor for themes like Blockbase, Emulsion, Aino, and Twenty Twenty-Two. In this method, we’ll be using the Blockbase theme.
- First things first, let’s activate the Blockbase theme. If you don’t have it, simply follow the steps in the first method on how to install and activate it.
- Now, after everything has been set up, simply click on “Customize” to access the full site editor.
Activate the Blockbase theme after installing.
- After you’ve finished configuring everything, simply click “Personalize” to view the full site editor.
- When you’re there, just click on the style icon at the top right of the screen.
- You can then change your font by clicking on the “Typography” settings.
Click on styles to access the typography settings.
- As you can see, you can modify the text for the website, links, headings, and buttons. Just click on the elements that you want to modify.
What appears here depends on the elements of your website.
- You’ll then be introduced to the font settings of that element. To view your available font options, select the drop-down menu under Font. Then, choose the font you want to use. The line height, font size, and appearance can all be customized.
There are several settings you could choose to edit your font.
- Once you’re happy with all your changes, just click on “Save” at the top right of the screen to apply your changes.
Click “Save” to save your changes.
There you have it, another way to change your font on your WordPress website!
Method 3: Using the block editor to change fonts
If you’re not a fan of the method above, you can also change your font’s look using the block editor. The color, size, and appearance of the text as well as the text backdrop can all be customized here.
Let’s take a look at how to do it!
- First, access your full site editor again on WordPress.
- Then, instead of clicking on the “Style” settings, click on a site element that you want to edit manually.
- After that, just click on “Block” beside “Template” to access the font settings
- You can then edit your font however you’d like.
- More choices are also available in text blocks. You can choose the text’s position as well as its bolding and italicization.
Additional settings can be found on blocks of text.
- You can also click on the drop-down arrow to access more settings.
You can find so many more settings by clicking on the dropdown arrow.
- Once you’re happy with your changes, don’t forget to click “Save” at the top right of the screen.
Don’t forget to save your work.
You now have another way to change your font on your WordPress website!
And, if you want to have an easier time and aren’t completely sold on WordPress – you can also consider choosing one of the best website builders, so you can customize your website even more in just a few clicks!
Method 4: Using a plugin to change fonts
What if the typeface you want isn’t available in your theme? Maybe there isn’t even a font-change option in your theme?
This is where you’ll need a plugin. A font plugin will allow you to easily change the font in WordPress without altering any code.
There are various plugins available that expand your site’s font possibilities. When choosing one, we also recommend one that allows you to use Google Fonts. This is so that you don’t have to do any coding, and adding a font can be done with just a few clicks.
That being said, here are our top picks:
- Easy Google Fonts
One of the best plugins out there for custom font control.
- Fonts Plugin
Great for embedding not just Google but Adobe fonts as well.
An excellent option for those who want to do some coding as well as have some CSS knowledge.
In this guide, we’ll be using Easy Google Fonts. Let’s get right into it!
- The first thing you have to do is install the plugin, of course! To do this, access your WordPress dashboard then find the Plugins settings. Then, click on “Add New”.
Click on “Add New” to install a new plugin.
- You’ll then be greeted with a wide variety of plugins. To trim it down and find the plugin that you’re looking for, just use the search bar at the top right of the page.
Search for the font you want and need using the search bar.
- After finding the plugin of your choice, simply install it and activate it.
You must activate the plugin in order to use it.
- Once you’re done setting everything up, go back to your WordPress dashboard and find the “Appearance” settings. Then, click on “Customize”.
Go to Customize to customize your website’s font.
- When you’re inside the editor, click on “Typography”.
Click on typography to access font settings.
- Then, click on “Default Typography”. All the elements of your website can now have their font changed, including the header tags and the paragraphs.
Each of your website’s font elements can now be changed.
- Once you’re done changing your font, don’t forget to click “Publish”
Super easy to do, right?
Why Fonts Are An Important Part Of Your Site
Choosing a stunning and useful typeface is just one aspect of digital typography. It’s more than just a font, and has a major impact on user interface design. On top of this, it also has the power to set your website’s general tone and produce a pleasing graphic balance, which results in creating a strong visual hierarchy.
It’s why we’re written a whole guide on our favorite fonts for websites.
Apart from this, here are other reasons why fonts are very important for your website:
- It influences decision-making
Fonts have a role in decision-making and have a huge impact on how readers understand and interpret the text on your website. Excellent typography captures readers’ attention and can even influence them to stay on your website for extended periods of time.
- It establishes brand identity
Fonts are crucial in creating brand identity since it frames the entire personality of your website. By adopting distinct and consistent typography, customers will start to connect your brand with a specific typeface.
- It improves user experience
Fonts are a great way to enlighten your visitors, especially when the text of your website is visible and readable. As a result, a great font overall defines your user’s experience.
To sum it up, fonts are crucial in making your website more memorable and aesthetically pleasing, for all the right reasons.
But, also remember that a great font is useless if you have a slow and clunky website. This is why you need to choose from one of the best web hosts to ensure that your visitors have a great browsing experience.
Choosing from a managed WordPress hosting platform also makes sure that not only is your website running at its best, but it’s also secure, keeping you safe from those with malicious intent!
Give Your WordPress Site a New Look and Feel With Fonts
Fonts play an important part in the look of your website and must be carefully chosen. Much like the proper colors and graphics, the right font combinations can be eye-catching and evoke the right emotions.
We’ve explored a number of methods for changing fonts in WordPress, including using the customizer, adding plugins, and utilizing the page builder.
What’s great is that WordPress makes it super easy to tweak and change the font to fit your website’s needs. And, as long as you follow our guide, you can easily give your website a distinctive look that’s sure to delight your visitors.